IndefiniteArticles
Saturday, January 14, 2006
 
Censorship
Yesterday, I took my classes to the library and then we read for about 20-30 minutes. During one class a boy called me aside and said something like, "You should see what this book says." He pointed to the word errection and said to me in surprise, "They don't censor these books." He seemed a little confused and even a little angry maybe that they would have that book in the library. It might have been an R.L. Stein book, although I am not sure. I looked at him and said, "Hmm. I guess you will have to censor yourself, then. You always have the power to put the book down."

I don't know what he was expecting. If it was for me to tear the book from his hands and mark the word out with a sharpie or put the book in the trashcan, he certainly didn't get it. Was he assuming that every book in our school library was free from anything anyone might find offensive?His reaction was an interesting thing to see.
|

<< Home

Powered by Blogger Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com