IndefiniteArticles
Monday, September 05, 2005
 
I'm back!
After relocating and then not having internet, I am officially back. I have had the first few weeks of school down here and I am still really enjoying it. I have a really supportive staff and the students are great too. So far, it has been a lot of work, but really enjoyable. Two statements from me stand out:

I don't remember what exactly we were talking about. Probably something grammar or spelling related. But some student asked a question and I found myself saying, "Yeah, the English language is stupid." Or something along that line. And then I stopped and said to myself, Maybe I, the English teacher, shouldn't be saying things like that.

I hope I got the chance to redeem myself last friday during SSR time. Students were supposed to be reading a book they had chosen from my room or a trip to the library a week before. I try to spend my time both modeling reading and walking around to make sure they are reading and not sleeping. I stopped by one desk and told a student to keep reading. "Why do we have to read?" he asked. I spouted off everything I knew about reading. Because reading is needed to succeed in high school. Because reading is a worthwhile activity. Reading is a safe activity. Reading improves test scores. Reading is essential in life. Reading will help you get a better job and make more money. Because I said so. He picked up the book and started reading.
|

<< Home

Powered by Blogger Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com