IndefiniteArticles
Saturday, November 06, 2004
 
What a week!
What a long week it has been. I have been procrastinating on my school work. Procrastinating and reading too many fun books instead of doing things I should be doing like working on the Tables for my Case Study and working on my Webquest and fun things like that.

Well here was my week:

Monday: Can't really remember. Oh yeah. Had a DG meeting that lasted about 3 1/2 hours. I was at the house for about 7 hours and missed going to work. Which means (according to the new policy they are actually FOLLOWING!) that they have to write me up. But don't you worry! I am armed and ready. I have the names of the seven names of people I called to take my shift and the names of people that couldn't work because they were scheduled to work then too. Ah what a mess.

Tuesday: Presidential Election Day! I stood in line for an hour and 15 minutes. It was amazing. There were several people with kids who had to keep them entertained while in line. There was one lady who brought her knitting to do. One guy who was studying something. I saw two neighbors from the neighborhood and we talked about the construction. Here is the amazing part: My neighbors (litterally!) and I bonded together as we asserted our civic responsibilities to vote! We voted one way or the other, for or against Kerry and Bush, pro or against the new arena. But we all showed up and got it done. My dad voted at 6 something in the morning and said it took him about 1 1/2 hours to get through the line. My mom voted after work after 5 o'clock. It took her about 15 minutes. Go figure.

Wednesday: Monday afternoon I got my codes to be able to sign up to substitute in Wichita. So then on Tuesday I signed up for a job and promptly questioned my sanity. I went to the library and made some copies of some forms to leave for the teacher and for the office. So anyway, on Wednesday I woke up at 4:00am to go sub. 4:00 my time but 5:00 my tv alarm time because I forgot to change the clock off of Daylight Savings time. I slept for another hour and then got up and got ready and left the house by 5:45. It was too dark to be awake. I arrived at the school at 6:18 I believe. That's what I put on the sign in sheet anyway. The secretary explained that I was in a strict school. Or non passing or something. Anyway, the school was different than regular middle schools. I did not know this before signing up. Everything was going well until 8:40. That is when the kids first showed up. Actually I had to go retrieve them. I trailed along the teacher across the hall and she called for my students and they lined up behind me like little uniform wearing, oh-how-can-we-ruin-this-sub's-day ducks.

It was a social studies class. The teacher (I actually met her in the morning before school started) left behind a packet dealing with the Constitution and Amendments dealing with Elections. So it was a pertinant topic and something I could talk about. The school has a block schedule and so I only had 4 classes. They were all very very talkative. But we got through the day. At the end of the day I thanked the teachers that were helpful and therefore soooo valuable and one took my sub # and said he would request me. He said that I had done better than most. Up until that point I didn't really know what I was up against. I had done well? Was I not expected to do well? On the way out of the building I saw another teacher who said, "Well, at least you are not leaving in tears."

My final evaluation of the day was this: no one killed eachother and I think they might have learned something. That was enough for me.

Thursday: Well one day of subbing in a week was enough for me. I just played worker girl at my two jobs and let that be that.

Friday: Went to the high school library for the morning. Shelved some books. Ahh the peaceful repetitive nature of shelving! Then cataloged a book. Count it: one. Then went home. Then to work, then out to dinner.

Now today is Saturday. I have gotten some work done but not much. Need to go to church either today or tomorrow. Need to go to Inspiration and Initiation. Need to complete applications for teaching certification program, get an apartment, make mucho money, and continue life.

|

<< Home

Powered by Blogger Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com